Wednesday 9 September 2015

The homeless traveler

As a traveler, I'm proud to say that my home is my backpack and all those places where I've found family. I have no fixed abode, but that doesn't mean I'm homeless, even if I couldn't go back to my parents, I left a piece of me in places I like to call a second home. For the moment, I've found a home, I'll be growing some roots in London, working in a Organization that reaches out for those in need; people living roughly, most of them homeless, rootless.

This has given me a small glimpse of what is it like to be homeless in the real world. Some travelers have already slept rough whenever it was hard to find accommodation. Friends have told me amazing stories about the time one of them slept in a train station, or a fire station. There are some who travel and camp outside the city. Some others have found a way to keep partying all night long.

Picturing this as a way of life is hard, specially in the society we live in, where we are supposed to have a good job, pay rent or buy a house, and do what ordinary people do. All the travelers I've met have some sort of hunger for trying out new things, discover what else is in life other than what we are suppose to be doing. We've found ways to do what we want without taking it out from others. We work hard but we work in a different way.

People doing some music on the street in Leipzig.
I'm was homeless traveler not because I didn't have a home, but because I had no fixed abode while traveling. I've been a nomad, searching for experiences. This has lead me to London, my new home for the upcoming months, where I'll learn new things about being homeless, about being rootless. This is a problem for many people in different parts of the world, I'm still a traveler, getting experiences from different places, sharing them and hopefully creating a ripple effect.

As for now, I can tell you this homeless traveler has found a place among the homeless. Hoping to get a break every now and again to keep on traveling...

No comments:

Post a Comment